Muslim Military Members
Information for Muslims in the US Armed Forces
Login
Welcome to Muslim Military Members
Saturday, June 23 2018 @ 04:44 AM EDT

Forum Index > Special Issues > Muslim Women Serving in the US Armed Forces
 Muslim Women Serving in the US Military
 |  Printable Version
By: Jessica A Armstrong (offline) on Monday, March 31 2008 @ 08:52 AM EDT (Read 16457 times)  
Jessica A Armstrong

Asalaamu Aleikum, I am looking to get together a group for Muslim Women serving in the US Military. It will be a group to discuss hardships, support, give tips on how to deal with different situations and also help to grow our Iman. If you can help me get the word out about this, since I do not know of any muslim women who are in the service, or even women who's men are serving. Thank you for all you do! Waleikum Salaam

Forum Junior
Junior

New Jersey

Profile Email Website  

By: Muslim Military Members Webmaster (offline) on Monday, March 31 2008 @ 09:01 AM EDT  
Muslim Military Members Webmaster

As-Salaamu Alaikum Sister, Generally, I am not for specialized groups for women because I feel it is a way of segregation. However, issues affecting women serving in the US Armed Forces does in fact deserve special attention. I have setup a special forum for this sole purpose. The forum is for issues affecting women serving in the US Armed Forces. It is not meant to be a segregated forum for women. General issues should be kept to the respective forums.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email Website  

By: Jessica A Armstrong (offline) on Monday, March 31 2008 @ 09:17 AM EDT  
Jessica A Armstrong

Salaam Aleikum Brother, Thank you I will look into that section. I do understand about not making it a Specialized group. We all face hardships now and then. I will try and do as you have asked. Waleikum Salaam

Forum Junior
Junior

New Jersey

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Amina () on Friday, May 30 2008 @ 04:21 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Amina

ASA I have just been commissioned as a 2LT and am interesting in learning what challenges I should expect to face as a Muslim woman in the armed forces. Looking forward to hearing from you, inshaAllah.

By: Max Ferreira (offline) on Wednesday, July 23 2008 @ 03:31 AM EDT  
Max Ferreira

Asalamu Alaikum. I'm PFC Ferreira, I'm an ARMY soldier stationed in Italy. My MOS is 88N and I will be here for 20 months. From what I know so far there are 2 muslim brothers that goes to Jumma here in the Chapel...I haven't seen a Muslima here yet..Inshallah there will be more and more here in Italy. I was wondering If muslimas are allowed to wear hijab? I have a friend that wants to join and she asked me that question. May Allah Bless all, Ameen. Peace

Max
Forum Newbie

Italy

Profile Email Website  

By: Abdulaziz George Bulling (offline) on Tuesday, September 02 2008 @ 06:52 PM EDT  
Abdulaziz George Bulling

Salam sister and Ramadan Mubarak; I hope you do not mind me weighing in on this matter. It would appear that wearing hijab is not a problem unless someones says that it interferes with the wear of protective gear. Both AR 670-1 and AR 600-20 state, "(d) Religious headgear may be worn while in uniform if the headgear meets the following criteria: 1. The religious headgear is subdued in color (generally black, brown, green, dark or Navy blue, or a combination of these colors). 2. The religious headgear is of a style and size that can be completely covered by standard military headgear. 3. The religious headgear bears no writing, symbols, or pictures. 4. Wear of the religious headgear does not interfere with the wear or proper functioning of protective clothing or equipment. 5. Religious headgear that meets these criteria is authorized irrespective of the faith group from which it originates. 6. Religious headgear will not be worn in place of military headgear under circumstances when the wear of military headgear is required (for example, when the Soldier is outside or required to wear headgear indoors for a special purpose)." Before I retired I used to wear an OD green kufi at work, that included conferences heald in the Combined Arms Support Command Headquarters at Fort Lee. I did turn a lot of heads, and kept a copy of the regulation in my pocket, but was only required to pull it out twice. I would check with your local jag office to review the current interpretation.

Abdulaziz G. Bulling
CW4, USA Ret.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: Anonymous: Kat () on Thursday, September 18 2008 @ 09:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Kat

I think this is a great idea, I am so glad I found this. I am really looking for a muslim woman support group. I would like to get in contact with you all women and men who are in the US armed forces. I am having a hard time with other muslims saying that what Im doing haram and what not. You can add me to YahooMessenger at islamia6491@yahoo.com JazakAllahu Khayr and Ramadahn Mubarak!!!

By: Jessica A Armstrong (offline) on Monday, October 06 2008 @ 10:35 AM EDT  
Jessica A Armstrong

Asalaamu Aleikum Sisters and Brothers I have safely returned from my deployment and will Insha'allah be able to serve a more active part in this forum. Sister Kat, I think I have a similar situation, depending upon what exactly it is you are doing that people are saying is Haram. I am in the National Guard and work full-time as a Federal Technician up at my base. I do wear the ABU, but I currently do not wear the Hijab in uniform. (Whenever I am in civilian clothes I wear it). My sister has an issue with me being affiliated with the military for several reasons some of which are: she believes it promotes situations in which I would be alone with men, the military is against women having children, I cannot wear a full abaya/jilbab. I share some of her concerns but not others. The way I deal with it, is that I gently but firmly explain to her how I avoid most situations where I would be alone with a man, or how I could take leave if I have a child. We are ok now, but sometimes she still brings the subject up and expresses her displeasure about it. You have to awnser to Allah (swt) first and foremost, anyone else after. The fact that Muslimahs serve in the military might be rare, but not so rare that it is completely unheard of. Also, the military is a professional environment where conduct between men and women follow guidelines and rules. Alhamdullilah, I have not yet had a situation where I was uncomfortable or it was unislamic. Pray to Allah (swt) that he supports you and helps you find some sisters that can accept you being in the military while still being a muslimah. Let me know sister if you need anything, and Insha'Allah I will be able to help you.

Forum Junior
Junior

New Jersey

Profile Email Website  

By: Anonymous: Frank Gonzalez () on Wednesday, December 24 2008 @ 11:50 AM EST  
Anonymous: Frank Gonzalez

Quote by: Abdulaziz+George+Bulling

Salam sister and Ramadan Mubarak; I hope you do not mind me weighing in on this matter. It would appear that wearing hijab is not a problem unless someones says that it interferes with the wear of protective gear. Both AR 670-1 and AR 600-20 state, "(d) Religious headgear may be worn while in uniform if the headgear meets the following criteria:.... . 2. The religious headgear is of a style and size that can be completely covered by standard military headgear." .

I think you'll find that #2 you quoted from the AR as being the major hurdle to overcome, not the interfering with protective gear. Most stand military head gear will not completely cover Hijab but will cover a Kufi with little effort. This issue is an ongoing one that I have been involved with helping various Muslima over the years with as a MEO advisor (from lowly advisor to Cheif of MEO over more than a decade). The major issue many commanders have is setting precedent for their branch of service or DoD.

By: Anonymous: Marvin Abdullah Hagan () on Monday, January 05 2009 @ 08:09 AM EST  
Anonymous: Marvin Abdullah Hagan

Quote by: Amina

ASA As Salaam Alaykum Sister, Allaah Knows Best about the challenges you're going to face. In my humble opinion---based on my experience (21 yrs Air Force), most Muslims seems to have less of a hassle if they stick to the sunnah. In otherwords, be consistent in your deen and as always best in character, competent in your field & professional in all your dealings. Muslims who tend to 1/2 step in deen, always looking for the 'boogie man' seemed to have a difficult time. I also noticed immigrant Muslims seemed to have less of a problem/challenge then revert Muslims; especially African Americans. However, I do believe with strong emphasis on deen this can be offset. Hope this helps in some small way; Insha Allaah. May Allaah (swt) make your path easy for you. Salaam Abdullah Email: abdulj46@yahoo.com I have just been commissioned as a 2LT and am interesting in learning what challenges I should expect to face as a Muslim woman in the armed forces. Looking forward to hearing from you, inshaAllah.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:44 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Welcome to the Muslim Military Members!

The MMM is an organization providing information, communication, and coordination for Muslims in the US Armed Forces.

To become a member, simply register as a new user. New members should register with their .mil account for automatic approval. If a non .mil mail account is used, you will be asked to further identify yourself before your membership is approved.

Click here to contact us

My Account

Lost your password?

Forumposts

Order: New Views Posts
Latest 5 Forum Posts

POC in Kuwait
 By:  Dawud Makonnen
 On:  Saturday, October 03 2009 @ 09:59 AM EDT
 Views 0 Replies 0
Re: As-Salaamu alayk..
 By:  Muslim Military Members Webmaster